Sandboarding is a thrilling activity that is gradually becoming highly popular. It is a cross between snowboarding and surfing and involves sliding down sand dunes on a board. Sandboarding is an exhilarating experience that provides an adrenaline surge for those looking for an easy-to-learn outdoor adventure. Unlike snowboarding, sand boarding is a very easy sport and you can learn how to do it within one hour of instructions and practice. In addition, this sport is relatively safe and suitable for people of all ages including kids.
The activity of sandboarding is gaining popularity in Egypt, particularly in locations of magnificent sand dunes such as Fayyoum, Wadi El Rayan, Qattaniya, and Siwa Oasis. Egypt’s sand dunes are famous for their moderate dune slope and easy-to-climb elevation. Furthermore, the dunes are nearby main attractions and easy to access with a short off-road drive from highways.
As a travel agency, we always recommend the sandboarding trip for tourism groups and families as it is a highly joyful activity to enjoy the desert’s peaceful atmosphere. As you enjoy the desert and sand dunes you can enjoy several other outdoor activities such as. short trekking to the nearby lakes or hills.
The most unique thing about sandboarding in Egypt is that it comes with a bedouin experience including desert BBQ, bedouin tents for resting, tea, and local food. Therefore, many tourists and local travelers consider sandboarding as a mini safari experience.
What is sandboarding?
Sandboarding is an easy outdoor sport that consists of descending sand dunes on a board while sliding down the dunes. Sliding on the sand dune slope is a sport that is comparable to snowboarding and surfing; however, rather than riding on snow or waves, participants ride on the sand. Sandboarding may be done on most kinds of sand dunes, from little dunes to enormous sand mountains, however, it is more fun on dunes with moderate elevation to get the most out of the experience.
The great feature of sandboarding is that it is relatively easy to learn and safe to practice for all people. With a few attempts, you would be able to enjoy this sport on your own. Eventually, some people might wonder about the adrenaline level that comes with this experience and wonder how an easy outdoor activity can provide adrenaline excitement.
Amazingly, this activity can provide several styles of sliding over the dunes including standing, binding, tandem, and. while sitting or lying on your back or face (for the last one make sure you close your mouth to avoid having the sand in your mouth).
While the speed of sliding on the sand dunes is considerably slower than snowboarding, but yet it is extremely joyful. in addition, the joy accelerates as you are able to do it easily with a group or your family and kids.
Sandboarding is Becoming Very Popular
Sandboarding is quickly becoming more well-known in countries with high dunes all over the world. This sport has become an exciting choice as an increasing number of individuals explore distinctive ways to enjoy the outdoors in the desert or by the sea. A growing number of tour operators now offer sandboarding vacation packages to customers, with popular destinations including Dubai, Egypt, Morocco, Peru, and Australia.
Because of its exhilarating and risky character, sandboarding is becoming more popular across the globe, offering it a unique and exciting way to enjoy outdoor activities in the desert. The sport is relatively new and offers an adrenaline rush with a similar style to snowboarding but in a warmer and brighter environment, this has increased the number of people who want to have a new experience. Several countries that don’t have a snowy climate alternatively such as Egypt have magnificent dunes to ride. Initially, Sandboarding has also gained awareness and appeal among travelers and adventure enthusiasts as a result of the emergence of social media.
Why Sandboarding in Egypt
Sandboarding in Egypt is an excellent opportunity to enjoy the beautiful beauty of the desert scenery while participating in an exciting sport. The country is home to various gorgeous sites ideal for sandboarding lovers.
- Beautiful scenery: Egypt has some of the world’s most beautiful desert vistas and magical dunes. Sandboarding in Egypt allows you to get up close and personal with beautiful sceneries. Some of the dunes are located in national protected reserves nearby natural sightseeing such as lakes, mountains, and archeological sights. Therefore, sandboarding in Egypt comes with several other outdoor activities such as camping, trekking, bird watching, swimming, and fishing.
- A fun group activity: Since sandboarding is an easy sport and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and body sizes, it is a great social activity for families and groups to mingle and socialize while having a fun time. Enjoy the desert mini safari experience while playing a sport and spending time on soft sand or having BBQ and taking stunning pictures. Holiday Tours, the travel agency, provides arranged sandboarding packages from Cairo and Siwa designed for groups and families.
- Easy to access dunes: The Egyptian sand dunes are easy to access from main roads and can be 2 hours drive from Cairo. This allows travelers to enjoy one day tour and back to Cairo by night. Sandboarding is an exciting and exhilarating experience that is guaranteed to get your adrenaline racing, however, the dunes in Egypt are not highly elevated which is suitable for beginners to enjoy.
- It is a Safari experience: The sensation of wind in your hair and sand under your feet is unlike any other. Hop on a four-by-four ride and get into the amazing desert, watch the beautiful scenery of protected reserves, and enjoy the desert landscape. Sandboarding in Egypt is a safari experience where you can get to visit the desert and enjoy the Bedouin culture, food, and tea. Sandboarding is an excellent method to learn about Egyptian culture.
Sand Dunes in Egypt
Discover the top locations in Egypt that are great for Sandboarding fans. You will have a fantastic time in Egypt, particularly in areas such as Fayyoum, Wadi El Rayan, and the Great Sea of Sand in Siwa Oasis. Sandboarding enthusiasts will delight in the country’s abundance of stunning sand dunes, which provide the sport’s ideal surface.
Following is a list of some of the best locations in Egypt for sandboarding:
- El Qattaniya Dunes (Qattara). – 80 km from Cairo
- Fayyoum, Wadi Al Rayan Protected National Park
- Siwa Oasis, The Great Sea of Sand (Western Desert)
- Islamia, East – North Sinai (Currently not available for sandboarding)
Fayyoum Sand Boarding: Sandboarding is a popular activity in Egypt, and one of the best places to do it is at Fayyoum. The region is home to a number of sand dunes, the most well-known of which is the Qatrani Dunes. Sandboarding is a fun activity that can be enjoyed on these dunes, which provide a number of different slopes and heights to select from.
Another famous location in Egypt for sandboarding and at Fayyoum Oasis is Wadi El Rayan. The region is well-known for its spectacular desert scenery, waterfalls, lakes, and natural sights. Sandboarding can be done to great effect at Wadi El Rayan’s sand dunes, which provide a number of different gradients for riders to select from.
El Qattaniya sand dunes: About 80 kilometers (km) outside of Cairo are the El Qattaniya sand dunes, which span over the deserts from Cairo to the Bahariya oasis. An ideal location that features clean sand dunes of an appropriate height, which are suitable for riders of all skill levels and make an excellent starting point for the weekend.
Siwa Oasis: Siwa Oasis is a stunning location in Egypt that is known for being a favorite spot for sandboarding enthusiasts. Sand dunes and salt lakes are only two examples of the breathtaking scenery that can be seen in this region. Some of the sand dunes at Siwa Oasis reach heights of up to 30 meters, making this a fantastic spot for sandboarding.
Furthermore, Siwa Oasis is on the edge of the Great Sand Sea, which is located in both Egypt and Libya. The great sand sea is famous for some of the biggest dune fields in the world. It stretches more than 800 km from its northern boundary along the Mediterranean coast all the way south to Gilf Kebir. It has a massive surface area of 72,000 square kilometers and is home to some of the biggest dunes ever measured anywhere in the globe, including one that is 140 km in length.
Holiday Tours Travel Agency offers sandboarding packages
Holiday Tours a pioneer Travel Agency in outdoor activities provides a choice of sandboarding packages for those who are interested in trying sandboarding in Egypt. These sandboarding trip packages include transportation, the rental of necessary equipment, and the services of a guide who will show you the ideal spots for sandboarding. Holiday Tours Travel Agency can arrange for you to have a once-in-a-lifetime sandboarding adventure in Egypt, regardless of whether you are a novice or an expert rider.
How to Get the Most Out of Sandboarding
Sandboarding is an exciting sport that can be participated in by anybody of any age or degree of ability, and it is a lot of fun to do. Sandboarding may be a lot of fun, especially if you follow these pointers:
- Wear appropriate clothing: When sandboarding, it is essential to wear clothing that is not only comfortable but also allows air to circulate freely through it. It is advised that you wear closed-toe shoes in addition to shorts and a T-shirt. Remember, the sand will get into your clothes so avoid wool and cotton. Better to wear sportive pants and a top. Have a hat and sunscreen and a lot of water. Always have your sunglasses on to avoid the sand getting into your eyes.
- Use the right equipment: Ensure that you are using the appropriate gear. In order to have fun sandboarding, you will require the appropriate gear. Included in this is a sandboard, which is comparable to a snowboard but is made specifically for use on sand. The equipment includes mainly a helmet and board. You would also need a sunglasses and scarf to avoid the problems with soft sand.
- Choose the right location and. dune slope: When selecting a sandboarding location, it’s important to choose a spot with the right terrain. Look for sand dunes that are steep enough to provide a good ride, but not too steep and hard to climb up. Remember, you would always need to go to the right side of the dune for the ride down. The dune’s slip face produces an angle relative to the horizontal ground surface, often approximately 33 degrees, that is almost twice as steep as the windward face (stoss slope). The angle of repose describes this position. The typical stoss angle, measured from a level ground surface, is 10 degrees.
- Listen to the instruction: If you’re new to sandboarding, it’s a good idea to take a lesson from a qualified instructor. This will help you learn the proper technique and ensure that you stay safe while riding. Usually, the tour companies will provide you with instructors. Sandboarding is a relatively easy sport for beginners.
- Wax your board more: Remember to always wax your board properly to be able to slide faster and easier. Sandboarding requires applying wax on the bottom side of the board to ease your ride down.
- Climbing up is not easy: Sandboarding can be demanding in terms of climbing the dunes. You would need extra effort to climb up and start over. Avoid climbing fast and take slow as you don’t need your feet to dig in the soft sand. Be smart and choose the lowest elevated part of the dune and as your reach the top you can moonwalk on the edge to pick the best part to ride all the way down.
- Be aware of safety: Sandboarding can be a fun and safe activity if you take the necessary precautions. Always wear a helmet and other protective gear, and make sure to check the sand for any obstacles before riding down the dune. Keep a distance from other players to avoid a clash.
- Shower twice: The downside of sandboarding is that you would need to have a longer shower after it. The soft sand would be literally everywhere including your hair, your clothes, your shoes, even your pockets. Be prepared for that.
What are the most famous sand dunes?
The top places of Sandboarding with sand dunes in the world. Here are a few of the world’s best dunes:
- Huacachina, Peru
- Badain Jaran Dunes, Mongolia/China
- The Great Sea. of Sand in Siwa, Egypt
- White Sands National Monument, New Mexico
- Simpson Desert, Australia
- Little Sahara Recreation Area, Utah
- Great Dune of Pyla, France
- Bidayer Dunes Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- El Qattaniya sand dunes, Egypt
Is sandboarding suitable for everyone?
Sandboarding is not a physically demanding activity and it can be enjoyed by people of all fitness levels. It’s important to listen to your body and take breaks as needed to avoid exhaustion.
Is sandboarding suitable for children?
Yes, Sandboarding can be enjoyed by children as young as six years old, depending on their size and physical ability. It’s important to ensure that children wear appropriate protective gear and are supervised by an adult at all times.
Is sandboarding a safe activity?
Sandboarding is a safe activity if you take the necessary precautions. Always wear protective gear and be aware of potential hazards such as getting closer to others as they are sliding down. Avoid being in front of others.
Do I need to bring my own equipment to go sandboarding?
In Sandboarding Egypt tours you don’t need to own equipment as you can easily rent it. Local travel agencies always provide the equipment and instructions. It’s important to ensure that the equipment is in good condition and suitable for sandboarding.
In conclusion, sandboarding is a thrilling adventure sport that is gaining popularity all over the world. Fayyoum, Wadi El Rayan, and Siwa Oasis are just a few of Egypt’s excellent sandboarding locations. There are several places in Egypt where you may go sandboarding, whether you’re a novice or a seasoned pro. Take all the steps you need to stay safe and enjoy yourself.